Create Your Profile
NOTE: Use your Globaloria Gmail account to register for a wiki account. See your teacher if you did not get your class Gmail address yet.
1. Go to the Request account page to request a new user account.
2. Type a user name then your email address and your real name.
- We recommend using the SAME USERNAME as your @globaloria.org email address. That will make it easy to remember!
- If you don't have an @globaloria email, try this for your Username: [FirstName][LastInitial]_[School Initials][A number you can remember] ex: DeniseS_RTC5713
- Important: Do NOT use your full name in your username! Keep it to your last initial.
3. Click the request account button to submit your request.
4. Check your email for a message asking you to confirm your email address. Click the link in the email to confirm.
5. Look for a second email with a temporary password. Use that password to sign in to the wiki (you will be able to change it later.)
Before you set up your User Page and Social Profile, watch this mini lesson from the LAMP about adding images to your online profile.
You must Log In to the Wiki in order to edit your User Profile page. This will bring up the "user" menu on the top of the screen.
1. Login and click on your Username to go to your User Profile page (a link to it will appear near the top of the screen.)
1. Use the WYSIWYG editor (row of buttons) at the top of the Edit screen to customize text, add hyperlinks and to upload and embed images on your page. 2. Learn how to use wikicode to change the text color and background color, and add a video to your user page. * Add background colors and font colors to your page * Try to embed a Viddler video on your page * Try more wiki editing tricks 3. Click "Save Page" OFTEN... and especially when you are done.
4. Complete this Profile Content Assignment
- Choose a learning topic that you are interested in (it can be a school subject or a social issue).
- Describe the topic and explain why you chose it.
- Find 2 or 3 images, 1 video and 1 link to a good website about your topic and add them to your page.
- Make sure all of your choices are school appropriate. Would someone else find any of them hurtful or offensive? Don't use them.
- Check out this example user page about the environment:
In addition to your fully customizable User page, you also have a Social Profile page where you can interact with other wiki users.
1. Click the "My Social Profile" link on your User Page.
2. Fill in the "My Info" section - share some fun facts about yourself!
- Click the small "Edit this" link, next to the "My Info" subheading.
- Complete the form and click "Update" at the bottom of the page.
3. Add Your Own Avatar image (it will appear next to your name all over the wiki.)
- Upload an image to represent you as a student in this online learning community, or choose one from the Avatar gallery.
- Go back to your Social profile and click the "Update Avatar" link (at the right end of the row of text links at the top of the page.)
- Type the entire name of the image file (including .png or .jpg) in the box provided.
- Click "Save" to see your new avatar!
- Challenge: Choose an Avatar that relates to your learning subject.
4. Find Some Friends
- Go to the User Gallery and click on the picture of another User you want to add as a friend.
- Click the "Add as a Friend" link near the top of their page. This user will be notified that you wish to be their Globaloria friend.
- When a User accepts your Friend request, you will be notified by email. That User's avatar and name will also appear on the Friends list on your Social profile.
5. Post a message on your Friend's Board
Each User has a board on their Social profile. You can leave messages on a friend's board and receive replies on your board. Try leaving a message for someone now.